Monday, July 25, 2011

"I Said No! No! No!"




I was out with my bellas having a delicious lunch that went on to supper. Lovely catch-up conversations and after the sun set one of my friends shouted 'WHAT!'. We just looked at her and she said "Amy is dead". Just like that, my heart sunk. I let it sink in silence. Half the table was not shocked as my other friend from across the table. Dawn. She introduced me to Ms. Winehouse. Right there and then it hit me that our pain could have possible been the same. The look on her face was exactly how I felt inside. Slow crash.

I guess the reality that comes with putting aside the fact that we loved her music, is that drugs don't give a fuck about talent. One of my girls said "it would be a lie for me to say I didn't see it coming". She was right. But all that kept on going through my head was 'but she was gonna be alright! but she was gonna be alright!' and now she's no longer.

I remember the day I heard her music for the first time, it must have been a Friday. I remember Dawn ran to Sandton City to go purchase the album. We literally stopped Corinne Bailey-Rae's album and started playing 'Back To Black' and never looked back. We created memories listening to her 'soul exposed howling for help' lyrics. A musical spirited soul that sounded like she was born after her time. That raw old skool soul, especially for a Jewish British young lady.

May her soul rest in peace! I will forever play her records. That's for sure.

whatever happens, don't ever stop the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment