Thursday, December 1, 2011

Art As A Weapon - Jeff Durkin


I am an art disciple at heart even though I might not show it half the time. I look at art as the one gift the world gave to us. Any form of art, from anywhere around the world. However big or small. From hanging in galleries to the street alleys. Art is a broad word and I always prefer not to try and explain what it really is to me because that on its own will be boxing it. It's too broad for words.

I stumbled across this piece (Art As A Weapon) on Life+Times and it grabbed me instantly. It's a documentary on street art, Buddhism and a struggle for democracy. I won't get too much into it, you can go watch it and hopefully let it move you like it did me. Below are the two 'quotes' that stood out for me from this 4:11 minutes doccie.

"You have to ask yourself what it is that you are fighting for and if what you think you're fighting for is worth it then you should never get discouraged. The reason why we want democracy in Burma, is because we want our people to take responsibility for their own destinies. In the end...we shall prevail."

"Freedom of speech is predicated on the idea that you might not like everything everyone says, but it's important that they have the right to say what you want to say. I think Street Art functions the same way."

P.S. Applause to Director Jeff Durkin for this amazing project. Such hope for peace and equality.

follow this link http://kck.st/qkUTKX

No comments:

Post a Comment